Because I'm lazy, I'll change the old post pictures later.

And as usual, it's 3am here and I'm completely elated to be journaling again.

I honestly feel like I own my blog a personal apology for not keeping up with it, even though not keeping up with it feels like a good sign of actually living life, yet I like chronicling things, and it's one big paradox!

And as usual, I have my portfolio site but I cannot abandon this blog at all. I won't. I decided, and it's final. If I could find an awesome way to integrate it, that would be amazing. I'm don't want to just let things go by without getting the chance to talk about them, because otherwise I feel like it just fades away in a sense.

I spent today ruminating that my work situation, which I have mentioned here before, has been extremely busy and without sugarcoating it, difficult. It is severely understaffed and I spend fifteen hour workdays alone, and while I'm blessed to be able to motivate myself, I'm definitely suffering a little creatively on the inside. Cosplay and art fuels all of that goodness in me.

All is not lost however! Despite my lack of updates since 2014, I've actually done quite a lot more productively than I have in most years. I think I'm transitioning out of some of the early struggles in my sewing, where I felt like I was doing something right, but I was really falling short in it. Costumes are always like foreign yet familiar puzzles to me, and I am getting a better sense of how things work.

I have been doing some great work in midst of 35-40 hour workdays and 4+ full-time classes in school! I chronicle some of it on Facebook, but I want to be putting it out in other places too. I definitely want to be a presence that can be helpful and supportive towards other people's creative endeavours.

I can only assume that I've survived the Great Era of Derp thanks to art! 

I'm a goober in a blue kimono.

So in summation of my crazy cosplay projects since last time:

PMX 2014: Tsukumo from Karneval, Atago from Kantai Collection, and Shiro from No Game No Life, Shindo Shuichi from Gravitation
- Con Experience: PMX started out as the, "everything will go as planned" convention, but then suddenly, things went awry and unfortunately out of our four person skit, Lyric had to sit out due to a last minute emergency and Emi was unable to attend the con at the last minute. However! Shii and I had a super fun skit experience! We dressed in our Gravi outfits and sung karaoke like goobers, performed to dat~Booty Swing, and had way too much fun with ribbons and roses. I really love my Tsukumo cosplay and probably for the best season, is that it was my first cosplay coming out of my experience with my back!

Anime LA 2015: Alexiel from Angel Sanctuary, Kinomoto Sakura from Cardcaptor Sakura, Matsuoka Gou from Free, and Anzu from Indolm@ster: Cinderella Girls
- Con Experience: ALA is a special convention. It was rainy and gray, and I almost feel like the con was mourning a little that it's moving next year, but it's still so magical on its own! We performed the skit that we had been waiting to do for over a year, and we did it! We got a great reaction and I am so happy to see us in those skit videos and see our costumes for the journey we had gone through. I was super giggly all weekend for that reason, despite that I was half asleep thanks to the decision of making not one, but two 24-hour cosplay challenges. So it was like 2 in 24. Bahahahaha what is sleep!

HanadokiCon: Lacus Clyne (Final Plus) from Mobile Suit Gundam SEED, then re-wore my Sailor Stars Usagi seifuku
- Con Experience: This was a last minute plan. My friend asked if I had wanted to go with her to the con for a weekend in San Diego, and I figured that I hadn't had a weekend off in a while, so I went ahead. Shii came along as well, and we had a really fun time! It was a small convention, but we got to watch the masquerade, and watch Saiyuki at the pool side. We also took really silly pictures of each other near these pretty gazebos.

Fanime 2015: Kamiya Kaoru from Rurouni Kenshin, Kusakabe Ringo/Yuka from No-Rin!, and Tadokoro Megumi from Shokugeki no Soma, and unofficially, being the Mega Milk Ane-chan
- Con Experience: This was a super fun convention! We worked super hard on our Kenshin skit, and while not perfect, we really made the most of it. The car ride is always hilarious, and I fit the convention having lots of fun doing a comfy group cosplay. I seriously love my kimono, yet the journey there brought lots and lots of carpal tunnel. But it's so pretty. *_* I also had a lot of fun wearing Ringo, and I bought my MegaMilk shirt to wear while sewing, but I ended up unofficially cosplaying from it, and it was fun!

Anime Expo: Filia Ul Copt from Slayers TRY, Caster from Fate/Stay Night, and Miyuki/Cure Happy from Smile Pretty Cure
- Con Experience: This was a tough convention to judge because I feel like I only saw mere hours of it. The crowds were better and I had fun finding fellow Cures for our Pretty Cure Event! However, I sadly had to leave early and I also couldn't wear my Caster in the heat. I finished Filia, but hours before competing, our friend had to drop out due to illness and it was a little heartbreaking for how close we were. At the same time, it was a wonderful experience to make Filia and I'm so proud of my craftsmanship on her. I'll be rewearing her for ALA!

Along with those, I made my brother and Sagara Sanosuke cosplay, a Mudo Setsuna cosplay, and fixed up Zelgadis for him (I made it two years back for my friend Justin for our Slayers skit), Syaoran to match my Sakura for Shii, and I also completed a Link commission for another friend for Comic Con. That's nearly 12 costumes for myself, 3 commissioned/pieced together, and 5.5 cosplays extra for others! My mind is blown!

Out of the four conventions I have attended, I competed in 2 and won with my group awards! We got Best Group Performance in Journeyman for our Angel Virus skit at ALA and another materials award, and at Fanime we won for Best Dramatic Skit with Senbonzakura no Kenshin!

PMX is officially known as Pink-Roses Con.

I'm slated to be attending and competing at PMX this coming year, which is actually in about, less than three or four weeks now? Eek! I haven't started on anything besides patterns. I'm currently working on Hirose Yasuho from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Shirakiin Ririchiyo from Inu x Boku SS (the actual sewing, not wearing the old commission), and Luna from Sailormoon! My best friend Lyric is also making some really amazing acccompanying costumes since the main group will be taking a short break till ALA hits, where we have a really amazing project planned (and a dream project!).

It's always this time of the year when I tend to go through the transition of where I want to be when the cosplay season hits. Where am I? In a heck of a lot better place than last year. Even with my work and school season also hitting hard, I'm pretty satisfied that I have greatly improved on my crafting in midst of these hilarious times. The next projects will be super busy but I feel much more confident about my sewing that I hope I can get into the nitty-gritty and really enjoy this!

Next post when it'll be before 3am (likely 1am), I'll be posting actual pictures of progress work I have. I'll definitely be chronicling my cosplays as well!

Forever a goober.


I literally posted this at 3AM. Am I good or what?

Comments